Setting a professional tone as a good worker in the office takes mostly common sense but there are times we all need a refresher on some basic things we might not consider when all our attention is focused on our tasks to do. Let’s dive in and take a close look at seven ways to carry out proper business etiquette.
- Cubicle etiquette: For those of you working in cubicles, don’t be that annoying person who pops his or her head over a neighbor’s cubicle to ask a question. If you have something to say, get out of your chair and walk to whoever’s cubicle it is that you want to speak with, you can even use the time to stretch those legs a bit.
- Abide by dress codes: If your employer says that you can’t wear shorts to work, don’t show up on your day off wearing a pair. To keep it simple, always follow uniform rules and stay professional.
- Be courteous: If there is a potentially embarrassing situation that could arise for one of your co-workers and you can stop it from happening, be courteous and do what you can. You would want your co-workers to do the same for you.
- Handshake, handshake and handshake: Any time you meet somebody for the first time, give them a nice, welcoming, firm handshake. Whether it is a new co-worker or a new client, giving a good handshake will leave a lasting impression.
- Show concern: When there is a problem in the office like a co-worker getting fired or reprimanded, show sympathy, give out a helping hand. You never know when life will throw you a curve ball, sending you looking for another job.
- Give clients special attention: Without customers/clients/guests, your employer would go under and you would be looking for a new job. You need to give your clients extra special attention and show them appreciation on a daily basis.
- Label your food items: If your employer has a lounge area with a fridge, make sure you label your food. More importantly, make sure to keep your hands off your co-worker’s food items.
Sometimes on our daily routine we get caught up in between all the craziness forgetting simple things that can make for a better working environment, it happens to all of us, but the important thing is to always try to do the right thing and if you messed up, no worries, apologize and try to do better next time.
Do you know of any other annoying habits you would like gone from your working environment? Leave us a comment below.